Dum Ka Murgh recipe
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||45 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour, 5 minutes|
|Meal type||Main Dish|
|Misc||Gourmet, Serve Hot|
|Description||Marinated chicken pieces|
Please note: only the ingredient list has been updated, you will need to allow for different cooking times, temperatures and quantities in each step.
- 2 tablespoons garam masala (made with 1 cinnamon stick, 5 green cardamoms, 7-8 cloves, 3 star anise, 2 tsp each of fennel seeds and mace blade - all of this is ground into a powder)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups onions (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup oil ( I used grapeseed)
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons thai green chili paste
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cashews (or use crunchy unsweetened peanut butter)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups plain yogurt (suggested full fat)
- 2lb chicken (skinless drumsticks, thigh and breast pieces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup mint (chopped)
Heat up the oil and fry the onions to a golden brown, in small batches
In a mixing bowl, mix the onions and the chicken with the rest of the ingredients except the mint and lemon.
Set this aside for about 15 minutes
Take your best looking big dutch oven, which is big enough to have more than 2/3 of space left after you put the entire chicken and the marinade in it.
Take a griddle/ saute pan and place it on top of your stove on medium heat
Place the dutch oven on top of the griddle and cover.
Cook on low heat, undisturbed and covered for about 35- 45 minutes
The settings in your stove and the heat distribution in your dutch ovens may vary.. use your best judgement.
When ready to serve, dash in some lemon juice and mint and eat with naan or roti.
Add a photo
Have you made this dum ka murgh recipe? Show us how it turned out. It will appear under the main image on the recipe page!
What are private notes?
These notes appear on the recipe page and are visible only to you.
If you feel that the chocolate cake you just made needs more chocolate then remind yourself here for when you cook it again.