Gluten and Dairy Free Healthy Zucchini Bread recipe
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||1 hour|
|Total time||1 hour, 20 minutes|
|Meal type||Bread, Breakfast, Snack|
|Allergy list||Egg, Wheat|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Freezable|
|Description||This zucchini bread is gluten free and healthy too. The ground flax and chia seeds give it more protein which helps you stay full. Also, the chia seeds add a nice crunch without nuts.|
Please note: only the ingredient list has been updated, you will need to allow for different cooking times, temperatures and quantities in each step.
- ½ cup flax meal (or ground flax seeds)
- 1 ½ cups gluten free brown rice flour mix (use any type on the market which has brown rice except Bob's Red Mill because you are going to add garbanzo bean flour)
- ½ cup garbanzo bean flour
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (find these at the health store)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (use a good quality cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg (I grate whole nutmegs. It only takes a minute)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups grated zucchini (about one mid-size)
- ½ cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
Preheat oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4. Place dry ingredients, including flours, seeds, xanthan gum, baking soda and baking powder, and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix together and set aside.
Beat together eggs with a whisk. Add agave and applesauce to the mixture. Add grated zucchini.
Mix together wet and dry ingredients
Take wet ingredients and mix them into the dry ingredients making sure everything is combined, but not over-mixed.
Spray standard, 20x10cm (8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch) baking pans with non-stick spray. Pour batter into pans and try to make them as even as possible. Place in oven and set timer for one hour.
After one hour, bread should be firm. You may stick a toothpick in it to test for whether it is done. Place pans on cooling rack for ten minutes. Then, turn the bread out and wait a little longer if possible before cutting. This bread may be frozen for up to three months. I slice it first and then freeze one of the loaves.
Add a photo
Have you made this gluten and dairy free healthy zucchini bread recipe? Show us how it turned out. It will appear under the main image on the recipe page!
What are private notes?
These notes appear on the recipe page and are visible only to you.
If you feel that the chocolate cake you just made needs more chocolate then remind yourself here for when you cook it again.